As we all know, to be a good conductor is not easy because it is not just a matter of keeping a steady tempo. In my opinion, a good conductor has to know the music extremely well in order to convey the composer’s idea of the piece. He/She needs to be able to imagine exactly what sound he/she wants and explain it to the orchestra. The conductor of an orchestra also has to be very diplomatic because conflicts and disagreements could erupt during the rehearsal process. In short, a good conductor is someone who gives the orchestra liberty but also has his/her ideas about what they want to do.

In this video, the Gustavo Dudamel’s great talent as a conductor really impressed me a lot, because it is not easy to gain such great achievements at this young age. I think he has all the strengths that are indicated above. His passionate conducting style influenced the orchestra members to play professionally.

To sum up, we cannot consider one’s achievement by his/her age.

4 comments:

TANASAK said...

Well, I agree with most of your perspective but I do not agree with you when you say "He/She needs to be able to imagine exactly what sound he/she wants and explain it to the orchestra". I think the orchestra should explain the conductor's imaginary to the audiences because the orchestra players has been trained to do it so. Furthermore, he is really influenced the new generation of classical player indeed!

Anonymous said...

I love the way of your description about what kinds of ability a good conductor should possess. However, I think you can talk a little bit more about how dose the conductor describe the sound she/he wants to the orchestra. I know some very brilliant conductors will suggest performers to change the bowing in some particular phrase then the sound is actually much better than their original play.

Anonymous said...

However, I don't understand what you mean by extremely well. I know the meaning of it. But I feel this adverb is too affirmative. Conductors are learning pieces as well. Every conductor has their own perspective to one piece. It is hard to define which one is more close to the composer's will.

animakuri said...

Chieh - I must say you are really expressing yourself well. Your observations about how he communicates are very insightful. Your use of adjectives and tenses is excellent here. You have also done a good job at explaining the paradox of the conductor - the need to give freedom to musicians and to control them at the same time. Bravo!

Post a Comment